Sunday 28 August 2011

Finished modeling, enter Mudbox

The main parts of the model is now complete, the only thing that have been missing was the cannons. There are no good references of the guns on the thing, so I had to use some imagination, they are in the same style as the rest of the ship, a kind of semi-organic design. In one of the shots there is a person standing next to it and it looks really huge, but its still a bit of a guess.

There are some areas around the cockpit still that could need some extra details and geometry, but Id rather cheat a little and add those later. It will just be tiny details that ill just put a regular uvw map on and add a rough bump mapped texture to.




I have started texturing too, using Mudbox. After some experiments it seems that trying to paint textures larger than 2048x makes it crash because my graphics card runs out of memory. I currently have 1GB video memory, so there are hardware limits as to how realistic i can make the model. But I think its coming along very well.



I use a slightly blue grey as a base, then some organic patterns for the light areas and then a brown texture for the edges to simulate dirt. But I might rather try to adding dirt with a shader in max.

No comments:

Post a Comment